Our outdoor playscape has dramatically improved over the past year thanks to our community, teachers, donors, and volunteers. Special thanks to Brian Peavey and Kim Brannock who have served as the Playscape chairs over the past year. They have worked tirelessly to gather supplies, fundraise, coordinate work parties, and dedicate hours to improving our school playgrounds. If you happen to see Brain or Kim please thank them for all they’ve done. Sam Nagle and Peter Sedivec are taking over as co-Playscape chairs.
So what is in store for 2018? There are a number of ideas under discussion to continue improving the outdoor playscape:
- painting 4-square courts on the blacktop
- adding a basketball half court
- adding to the ropes course
- tire climbing/maze feature
- outdoor music instruments
- on-going repairs to ensure a safe playspace
What’s needed to make this happen?
- Fundraising – as discussed at the annual meeting, the school is continuing it’s healthy growth and we hope to fundraise for supplies and materials needed to continue improving the playscape
- Community donations – we’re hoping to reach out to Les Schwab for used tires and potentially other community partners for donations/supplies
- Volunteer Work Parties – this fall we had several successful work parties where families came and dedicated anywhere from a couple hours to a full day to help build features. If you haven’t attended one of these it’s a great way to earn volunteer hours and get to know our community better
If you’d like to get involved, have suggestions or feedback please contact Sarah at the front office.
SEE OUR SCHOOL IN ACTION
We welcome your visit to the Waldorf School of Bend! Experience our morning rhythm, and visit a main lesson in each grade. After your classroom visits, we are here to discuss Waldorf philosophy, answer questions, and explore whether the Waldorf approach is a fit for your child and your family. Because we visit classes in session, adults only please. There are other opportunities for your children to visit at our Open Houses.
Our school is closed from June 24 through July 5. Happy Summer!
Beginning in autumn, scheduled tours are held on each Tuesday morning beginning at 9:30. Tours alternate between our grades and early childhood programs. Call Sarah Rucker, Admissions Director, at 541-330-8841 to reserve your spot.
The Waldorf School of Bend cultivates academic excellence through our experiential curriculum rich in the arts, sciences and practical works. We honor each child’s unique spirit by building capacities of will, free thought, compassion and social responsibility. In this way, children develop with purpose to act as powerful world citizens.